Wednesday 13 March 2013

Just a simple letter


Dear Jude,

I met Mark before you. He was my friend for a very long time and I held him highly in my heart. I only ever wanted him to be happy because he was a good guy. He went on for a year that he wanted a girlfriend and nothing ever came from it. When he met you, I knew this was the beginning of happiness for him but I was scared of losing my friend to someone I did not know and therefore did not like. I still remember the first time I met you, he brought you to a pizza night at the Red Herring. I was possibly more nervous than you were, this day marked the day I might have to tell my friend that he has terrible taste in women. Luckily for everyone this didn’t happen. He was running late as usual but you quietly sat and waited for him to arrive. As soon as he did it was like both of you came alive. I have never liked a new girlfriend straight off the bat like I liked you. I knew you would fit in just fine and there would be no misgivings after that.

You made him happy for so long Jude, even though there were days at a time that he would dull you down completely. There were days when he infuriated you so much but you stayed. He has always been a good guy, a good friend but even I could see that what he was doing to you was not good. It made me hate him a little. Some days it even made me hate him a lot. I found myself fighting and fighting and I knew not for what but I think deep in my mind it was all for you. Someone had to fight for you, I think most days you were just too tired to fight for yourself.

When you ended it. I was heartbroken for you both. I knew that it was better for you but that didn’t make it any easier knowing I would see you less now. It didn’t make it less heart-breaking seeing the tearing apart of a union I thought would last forever. You had become more of a friend to me than he ever was. You had been there for tea dates and girls nights. You had always shown up with a smile. Even when it felt like your heart was being torn apart. When I needed a friend, you were there with your baking goods at the ready.

It has been a while now but when we speak about him I can still see the hurt in your eyes. I can almost feel the burn in my throat and the sinker in my heart when I am around you. I know you are still hurting. And I would give anything to take away that pain. I would give anything to take away the sad memories and replace them with only good ones. I wish you could see Jude, that you are amazing. You open your heart to everything with a pulse and you only stop loving them when they prove they are not worth your love. I wish that I could say Mark is worth your love. He isn’t. You are so much brighter than this world should allow for. There is too much good in you to be upset about one idiot. He has proved time and time again that he never deserved you in the first place. You are too kind to let him go. A girl should never cry over a man unless he is dead.

I don’t think you know, Jude, how important you are to this world. The world needs bright stars like you to keep it alive. You may think we are just friends Jude, but I swear some days, you saved me from sinking in an ocean of my own self pity. You are supportive, compassionate and full of life. If the world didn’t have people like you, it would fizzle out into darkness. You need to give yourself more credit. Some people cannot see the light in others even if it is dancing naked in front of their nose. He chose to ignore your light, he chose to stamp on it and turn away his eyes. This does not mean that the next boy will be the same. The next boy might match your light. I really hope he does. You are delightful and sweet. You leave an impact wherever you put your feet. So show those footprints dancing a little. Show those footprints doing a jig. You got rid of the dead weight that was stopping you from taking on the world.

You can be anything you want now. There will be no one that you have to think about first. There will be no one to hold you back Jude. We will salute you from the sideline and quietly say to ourselves, “I knew this day would come.” So start walking forward Jude, start dancing that little jig first if taking the step forward is too scary but just know that your future is so bright and I can already start to see the rays on your cheeks.

Love always,
Courtafairy

No comments:

Post a Comment