Thursday 7 March 2013

I hereby declare that...


I recently became a godmother to a beautiful little African goddess. When I was asked to be a godmother, I had to think long and hard about the decision to take this little life on. In this day and age, it is something that is taken for granted and people are privileged to call themselves the godmother but don’t really think about the consequences of taking the role on. I knew I had to think about it thoroughly because I am at the point in my life where I don’t even want my own children.  I thought about it long and hard and I knew that I was definitely ready for the responsibilities of being a godmother to this beautiful baby. It was a big milestone for me; and a show of great trust from my friend.

Throughout the pregnancy we spoke all about the day when this beautiful baby would grace this earth. I threw her a kick-ass baby shower and got her the most amazing gifts. I wanted to see all of the scans and hear all the news. I even wanted to touch her belly when the baby was kicking (and this is something I made an oath NEVER to do). On the January 2013, my friends little bundle of joy was born. She had gone to Port Alfred to have her baby so I could not be there for her and I had to wait very patiently for her to get back to Cape Town so I could squish the little monster.

My friend got back a couple of weeks ago and I have heard nothing. Now you can imagine my disappointment. At first I tried to be graceful about it and think about all of the family members that want to see the baby. Then I also thought that she must be tired and just wants to settle into her home with her new baby. Then I thought well now her mom-in-law probably wants to see the cutie all day every day. I have been amazingly patient for a Sagittarius and I am done now. I want to see that kid and do I not have a right to?

I think that there should be a contract between parents and godparents. This contract should state that I should be able to see the thing at least once in my lifetime. It should state that I will be there for birthdays and school plays and that everything that her mother cannot give her, I will be there to give. I want to hold this baby and love it like someone should love another life. I want to know how big she is getting and how she wakes up at 3am every morning for “playtime”. I don’t want to be one of those godparents that never even acknowledges the kid. It is always good having a bigger family with more adult support than just your parents. I was lucky that I had that and I want to give that privilege to my godchildren.

In the process of writing this, I have realised that I need to take it upon myself, to be involved. I need to make a conscious effort to involve her in my life and make sure she grows up having a second mom that she can go to for everything that her mother cannot provide her with. I need to take responsibility to see her, because no one else will do it for me. That is the annoying thing about children: they grow up so quickly, you can blink and they will be old enough to know you are not cool anymore. I plan to make sure I get in as much time while she is little and cute because as she gets older she will probably forget me. And we can’t have that happening…can we?

No comments:

Post a Comment