Thursday 11 April 2013

You are angry? I am sorry I did not notice with the sparks of spit flying out of your mouth



I work in a restaurant in my spare time away from my proper day job and it always amazes me when I think about the type of people I come across. I have always been a waitress from the age of 16. I really do believe that it is the perfect environment to give someone skin as thick as a rhino’s. The restaurant I work in is fine dining and I wish I could say that it is more glamorous than any other restaurant but most of the time you get the same calibre of people as an ordinary family restaurant. You still get people booking for four adults and arriving with two children instead, you get people who get too drunk and cause scenes and you get people who have no idea how to behave in a public setting. I can tolerate all three of these types but there is one type that I cannot stand. We get a lot of this type. It is the person who complains about his steak and then rips the entire restaurant to shreds because his medium rare was not rare enough for his tastes.


This is why I have a problem with this person. They have no idea how it feels to be on the receiving end of that abuse. You want to say that my manager should not have the job he does and you want to say that my colleague is not a waitron he is a salesman then fine but the minute you start turning to other tables and asking them if they are having as bad a time as you are, that is when I would personally like to shove my foot in your smug mouth.

I do not know where and when humans started getting the idea that we are all entitled to make other beings feel less important than we are. I do not know when the activity of the day became a game of “bash the little person. “ Yes I am poorer than you, yes I am younger than you and yes I am working for you for the evening but the minute you make me feel like I do not matter when I have lovingly taken your order, when the chef has lovingly cooked it and when I have again lovingly brought it out to you, show me a little bit of love and do not mock the way I have put your plate down for you or that plate is sure to be in your lap next time. I do not come into work to be an idiot and by all means if you think that I am being an idiot then make it known, but in a mature and orderly manner, do not make me regret that I have a minute of patience left for people like you.

This does not just happen in restaurants. It happens in every day life. I get people who have so much rage in them and practice it when they are driving on the road. I have seen people yell at vagrants for asking for money. I have been called a “Jew” because I had no money to give. How did the world get to the point that ugliness is better than chivalry? Is it really easier to proverbially spit in someone’s face rather than smile and walk away with dignity and just never depend on that person again? Does it make you feel better to smack someone down instead of explaining why you are as upset as you are? I don’t deserve to be yelled at because your boss-hole yelled at you this morning, and I am sure you didn’t need to be yelled at by your boss-hole because his wife yelled at him on his way to work. Bad moods are so infectious, I can catch one in an instant, all I need is a spark to light the flame.

We all need to practice a little inch of tolerance and maybe then humans would be a great deal happier with their remaining days on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment